Monday, June 4, 2012

Haveil Havalim Blog Carnival

This is my very first time hosting the Heveil Havalim Jewish Blog Carnival, and I'm really happy to have been given an opportunity to do so!

It was great! I even had to make time to read blogs I've never seen before, or rarely have time to read. After all, I'm a busy homeschooling mom!

So here goes!



Haveil Havalim #362

Founded by Soccer Dad, Haveil Havalim is a carnival of Jewish blogs -- a weekly collection of Jewish & Israeli blog highlights, tidbits and points of interest collected from blogs all around the world. It's hosted by different bloggers each week and jointly coordinated through our Facebook GroupThe term 'Haveil Havalim,' which means"Vanity of Vanities," is from Qoheleth, (Ecclesiastes) which was written by King Solomon. King Solomon built the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and later on got all bogged down in materialism and other 'excesses' and realized that it was nothing but 'hevel,' or in English, 'vanity.'
Here is this week's roundup, sorry it's a day late!

Batya gives a synopsis of the Jonathan Pollard issue, and describes what she thinks will be the outcome, in Obama's "Pollard Card"

Esser Agaroth writes about being a "real" Yerushalmi: You Know You're a Yerushalmi When...

Rickismom writes about the effects of our actions in Ripple Effect

Rickismom also writes about spicy foods and second helpings in Brownie Points

Batya writes about kosher palm oil, noting that much of it is coming from countries that boycott Israel! (She questions its health merits, as well. I will say that some types of palm oil are healthy. You just have to know whether you are buying palm FRUIT oil, or palm kernel oil - palm fruit oil is ok, but palm kernel oil will kill you!) Kashrut Politics, Not Very Kosher and Not Always Healthy

Susan writes out her thoughts after being a shomeret for a met: My First Experience of Shmirah

Rivkah writes about saying Yizkor on Shavuot, and how that opened up a deeper connection to her family's past: My Father Sent Me

Susan writes about making sure she is doing justice for the needy people in her town: Overthinking Tzedakah:

Sharon A. writes about a changing city of Jerusalem, with pictures and all -  in Jerusalem, Past and Future

Batya writes her insights into Shavuot and the Jewish people's acceptance of the Torah: Naaseh v'Nishma

Miriam writes about being a grandparent, and her moderated grandparents' group in Grandparents Are Special Invitation...

Last, I wrote about growing even from things we don't understand: Growing

Next week will be hosted by A Soldier's Mother.  You may submit your posts to her directly at paula@writepoint.com.  I recommend that you give our on-line submission form a shot first, so that we can get in the habit of using it.

Would you like to host?  Would you like to connect with fellow bloggers and fans?  Join our Haveil Havalim Facebook Group!

7 comments:

  1. Ester, very nice. Thank-you for including me
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure! I got to read all sorts of blogs I otherwise would not have made time for!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! this was my first time hosting, and I was stressing out a little bit about it. Hope this is what people had in mind!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry you felt stressed about it. You did a great job. And I'm not just saying that because you included both of my posts.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for including my posts.  You did a great job on your Havel Havelim Debut.

    ReplyDelete